My Spinal Fusion Surgery

My Spinal Fusion Surgery

October 19, 2017 Spinal Fusion 0

Hello there all of my amazing people!!

It feels so good to be writing to you again! I thought before surgery that I was somehow going to be able to write post after post. But as it turns out, the pain and foggy brain from medicine prevented me from doing so until now. So here I am, ready to share all the details I can with you about my surgery! If you have forgotten, due to poor genetics and a bad chiropractor I needed to get a spinal fusion of my L5 and S1 vertebrae. I went into surgery having never had a major surgery in my life. There was also a possibility that they may need to completely open up my back. And well, I was an emotional wreck.

Day of Surgery, July 11th

The morning of my surgery I was oddly calm. I was distracting myself in every way that I could and was sending funny photos to my dad and boyfriend as they waited to go back with me. It wasn’t until I was being wheeled back to the surgical wing in my gown and hair cover that I started to panic. I listened to each doctor that came in to tell me their part of the procedure and tried so hard to laugh at the jokes my boyfriend and dad were making. I have never felt fear like that before in my life. Luckily each doctor that came by was amazing and honestly really cool. They assured me they would take great care of me and make me better than ever before.

As I was being wheeled into the surgical room my surgeon asked me what I liked to listen to and started telling me a story about how he makes sure that he always has music playing for the patient, and has been doing it since we used tapes. Got to admit I laughed a bit, I thought he was super young. Maybe a minute later I was out and then waking up in the recovery room.

My surgery ended up taking SEVEN hours! This was not because of complications, but rather they had a new machine that was able to get each bolt perfectly precise. My dad said that the surgeon was so giddy when he came out he could not stop talking about how badass the machine was! I can honestly say I have never been happier with technology.

My Hospital Stay, July 11th-15th

I will start out my saying that I was told I would be in the hospital for about three days. Similar to my surgery, things did not go as expected and I stayed in there for five days. Two of the biggest concerns were massive swelling and pain in my legs and a fever that would bounce up at night. I spent five days battling with the hospital to get real healthy food. My first solid meal was a hard-boiled egg, a “pastry”, and canned fruit. For reasons I don’t understand I was not allowed to have fresh fruit or vegetables until I ultimately made them allow me to have them.

I can say in all honesty that my hospital stay was pretty terrible.  I found that there were only two nurses that even read my chart to understand what I had done. One nurse had no idea that I needed a brace and walker to get anywhere. I even ended up waited over 20 minutes before someone came to help me go to the bathroom. My mom actually ended up flying out a day earlier so that I had someone who could truly advocate for me. My mom is amazing when it comes to anything medical related and she got a couple of people back into shape and helped me so much. I honestly think it is because of her that I was well enough to leave when I did.

Finally Home, July 15th

As you can imagine I was over the moon when I was confirmed that I would be going home. My release day was filled with so much stress and emotions. I was exhausted and so tired of the treatment that I was getting. Thankfully my mom, dad, and a badass nurse were able to rush the process along so that I had everything I needed to get home and be prepared.

I have never been more excited to be in my own bed and be surrounded by my own things. The process of actually going home was honestly pretty horrible. It was easily 110 degrees outside which put us in a rush which resulted in a lot of pain. Once I was finally home and in my comfy bed I was back to being alright. The next few days were extremely hard and taxing on my actual body but even more my mental state.

If you ever have to go through something like this, try to find someone who loves you and will help you through every moment. My mom was like an angel sent from heaven. She helped me shower for the first time in a week and scrubbed my hair for a good 10 minutes. She allowed me to cry and release all my emotions during this time and was so comforting. I have no doubt that without her this whole process would have been so much worse.

The Recovery

I have been taking every moment as it comes, and I have learned that during this healing process every day can be drastically different. I had a very hard time coming off of painkillers. My body fought me really hard until I found a medicine that really worked for me. Now that I have managed that my goal is to walk more every single day. I have already doubled the walking goal for the first month. So am I am pumped to see how far I get!

I am also using this recovery time to really focus on my life goals and to start to achieve them! The Universe has given me this time to refocus myself and take the time for me that I have been setting aside. It feels great to treat myself the way I have been meaning too. It is important to learn how to make time for yourself. If you don’t the Universe will force you too.

I will be posting more detailed blog posts in the future about my recovery and the things I have gotten a chance to learn in the last few weeks. My focus for the next few months will be on my blog and creating amazing content for you! Comment below or message me if you have any questions you would like answered. Also is there are any posts you would like to see. I would love to help anyone who has lower back problems or even those working to change their life for the better.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *